Windows Setup

Download the latest Anaconda Python 3 version. When installing Anaconda make sure to install it for your user only, and tick the option “add to path”:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.pymedphys.com/contrib/setups/setup-win

I’d really like to try this code, I can’t seem to make it work. I follow the instructions, then when I try to run any of the Jupyter notebooks, it says it can’t find pymedphys.labs. So I pip install that, but it never seems to find it. Python gives warnings about being in the conda environment, even if I explicitly specify the python in the environment directory created by poetry. pip list never shows any pymedphys libraries. This setup just doesn’t seem to be right, I’m not sure I’ve ever activated the poetry environment. Are there some instructions I’m missing?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out. When you are referring to the notebooks do you mean those within the prototyping directory? Unfortunately all those are just that, “prototypes”, over time they will no longer work and are instead just kept around for reference.

Anything that has had the extra work undergone required to make it be able to be readily reused can be called directly from the library itself. There are some notebooks that are included within the testing suite of PyMedPhys and those are the notebooks that are presented within the documentation:

Other than that, you can utilise some of the reference guides, of which here are some examples:

PyMedPhys also exposes some helpful command line utilities, some examples are available at:

Feel free to write back if you’d like a pointer in a specific direction for a specific task :slight_smile:. Also, if you do happen to create a Notebook in the future that you believe would be helpful to newcomers like yourself, it’d be great to be able to include it within either the Tutorial or the How-To guide section of documentation.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi @Mike-B,

I suspect the instructions you really wanted to be following were those found at:

And then ideally there would have been a nice follow-on tutorial that eased you into using PyMedPhys. I currently don’t have the bandwidth to be writing a tutorial. But I can propose the following two changes which hopefully will help a little:

Keen for any feedback you might have on how everything could have been laid out to help you get started.

Cheers,
Simon